CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Flash Back

It's been a rough couple of weeks, and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon, so, I am quite relieved to have a tag from this crazy diva to take me back to my childhood.

Also, to the anonymous person who left goodies on my porch this week. THANK YOU! You'll never know what you kindness means to me and my family.

So, here we go: they are in no particular order because, well, you get this tiny screen to maneuver pics around in, and it's no fun.

Ahh, the joys of this kitchen carpet. Yep, that's my childhood kitchen floor. How's that for 70s for ya? Also notice the bangs I am sporting that go back to the middle of my head. I think this may have been my training haircut for the Dorothy Hamill.




You probably already know I was raised by Bob. But, no post exploring my childhood is complete without mentioning TPIR!

Skipping ahead to preteen years, I was introduced to DANNYDONNIEJOEJONJORDAN. When said properly it is one name. NKOTB were the heartrobs of my Jr. High. Personally, Jordan Knight was by far, the cutest one.



I did say this was not in any order, right? Well, here is the prized possession of my childhood. This is actually the exact doll that I had. Somehow, I was lucky enough in my family of 8 kids to be the recipient of this doll one joyous Christmas morning.



Who didn't love Rainbow Brite? Seriously!




This may be showing off the tom-boy in me, or was it the early boy crazy in me? But, I remember loving these M.U.S.C.L.E. Men. Looking back, they were weird!



One of the few TV shows my family watched together was the Cosby Show. Loved them. I wanted to be one of them. Who cares if I wasn't the right race.



Now, Magnum PI is another show I totally loved. Just one actor made the show for me. Tom Selleck. Plain and simple. I found out as a teenager that my mother shared my fondess for him when I found an interesting puzzle of him assembled and glued to a poster board stuffed in the back of a storage closet.


I was also introduced to the wonderfulness that is Pierce Brosnan at a very early age. It is clear to me now that I had no choice but to be boy crazy.


One evening while I was doing my Get In Shape Girl routine in my bedroom, my older sister summoned me to her room. There was an amazing new song on the radio. I remember being totally annoyed by her insistence of my attendance. I think I even continued my routine in her room to the tune of no other than:


I hate to admit it, but my childhood self was not very impressed. He was unavoidable from that point on.

Here is the culmination of all things totally rad: Legwarmers? check. Spandex? check. Olivia Newton-John? check.



I was hit by a car walking to school at the beginning of 7th grade. I was quite upset at the fact that the EMTs showed no regard for my favorite pair of jeans when they cut from the ankle up the middle of my leg to my hip. They destroyed the hard labor of the summer before. I worked so hard wearing in those knee wholes of those acid washed - ankle zip jeans. I actually hung on to them (bumper stain and all) for a few years contemplating their transformation into a mini skirt.


Here's the best part of Elementary School. How sweet was the Oregon Trail?


Played on this sweet piece of equipment of course.


Skate King was the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. Especially if you were under 14. It was the only place to socialize prior to stake dances - which were huge in my area. If you look closely, you can even see the enormous skate in the back left corner of the rink. My favorite song to skate to? 'Let's Hear it for the Boys'


Who can forget high-top Reeboks? These are very close the the pair that I had. They were black and white with hot pink trim. I am certain I scored an awesome deal at Big 5 for those puppies.


The hours I spent at Jenny Freese's house playing Mario Bros. Are innumerable. The bruises I had on my thumb still hurt.


Did you have a Swatch Watch? Mine had interchangeable bands, so I could make it match perfectly to my triple layered socks.


I thought I was too cool for school with the awesome matching guard:



And, finally, the desire of my entire Jr. High - the infamous Esprit bag. I was the dork that never had one, I think I even had the nerve to continue to carry a backpack, but, these totes were the object of my affection.



So, I apologize that I had more than 10 - I just couldn't stop myself when I went google image searching. I am tagging people who may just update their blogs if they have a reason to - I tag:

Meredith
Dani
Kim
Jessica C
Jessica T
and
Shayla

9 comments:

Jan said...

It is so great to have you on my google reader. I thought to myself, does Nicole post anymore? This was so fun. Everyone remembers the price is right. Those cabbage patch dolls were funny. I never did get one, because I had boys. They were into dinosaurs and that Mario game.

I actually went to an Olivia Newton John concert. That was fun. It was before her Lets get physical days. She was so cute and sweet.

Remington Steele. Hilarious to me. It was so dramatic. But we watched. Cosby is just a classic. Great sitcom.

Thanks for playing Nicole. Diva is not in my verbage at all. Hope all goes well Thursday for you guys. Someone is coming by today to pick up the mother. I laughed when she said that. I was like Nicole actually referred to it as the mother too. :)

Megan said...

sorry that you have had a rough time...
this was fun, i remember when i FINALLY got an esprit bag one christmas. i had a CPK and i rainbow bright shrinky dinks. i still can't believe how we all squeezed into thos acid washed jeans that were sooo tight that you had to undo the ankle zipper just to get your foot through.
GOOD TIMES

Heather said...

And those crazy tight jeans are coming back.

Loved this, we should get together and play Mario Bros... forget Goonies.

AOlson said...

Wow Nicole. I thought you had secretly tapped into my brain and were posting EVERY memory from MY childhood. This was awesome, thanks for the trip. By the way guess who'll be rocking the NKOTB concert in November? Yeah that's right, me!! A group of family and friends and I are all going together!! Jordan was always my favorite too!!

I miss talking with you at the pool. Hope to see you soon:)

tharker said...

This post brought back so many good memories. You had 'Get in Shape Girl' too? I LOVED mine! I thought I was hot stuff with my pink wrist bands and sweat band workin' out with my jump rope to my sweet GISG tape. Awesome!

Those ESPRIT bags bring me right back to 7th grade. Mine was aqua and I loved it.

Debie Spurgeon said...

This is fantastic, but I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself because I never had most of those things, I just dreamed. Who didn't want a swatch with the interchangable color thingy. I had a cabbage patch doll that a lady my mom knew made, I was such a stinker and wanted a real one. I loved it anyway.
I loved to watch Magnum P.I. and Remington Steele. 80's T.V was the best.
Keep smiling.

Amy said...

Wow, that brings back so many memories. I had a rainbow brite that had a twink that velcroed to her hand. I loved that thing. Layered socks, oh yeah! Got to love the 80s jeans... my sister always made me cuff them at the bottom to look cool. I sadly still remember how to this day (please don't let that ever become popular again!). And can we forget crimped hair? I still have my crimper and use it on Liah and Emily sometimes.

Anonymous said...

stopped in to see how things were going on your end and was cracking up at this which of course made me HAVE to post a comment :) You nailed this! I never would have been able to remember 1/2 of those things - you are awesome! love & miss u!

Anonymous said...

oh and of course....Will always remember that kitchen carpet :)