Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Heartbreak at the Derby
I am convinced that the hardest thing to experience as a Mom is watching your child's heart break. That's what happened tonight at the Pinewood Derby. As the car that our whole family had put so much time and work into rolled down the track to lose heat after heat, the look in Tyler's face was undeniable. We had such high hopes of at least doing better than last year. We definitely put more work into this car. It was 'sleeker', the wheels were 'faster', the weight was 'correctly distributed'. As we all loaded into the car after all was said and done at the Derby. Tyler said it all: "That sucks!" I agree. There are no other words to describe that feeling. I wanted to take the pain away. All I could tell him was "I am so sorry." All I could do was give him a tight squeeze. I know it's really not a big deal in the long run. Really, it isn't a big deal in the here and now, but watching my son melt in the car on the way home after holding it together in front of his troop, it seemed like the most important thing in the world. Losing totally sucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
My Blog List
My Blog List
I am III
Growing up the 3rd of 5 daughters, my mom devised a system to mark our clothing. I was 'III'. So, when it came time to hand something down, only one simple 'I' was added to indicate it now belonged to someone else.
I am the middle middle child of my family. #5 of 8 kids. #3 of 5 sisters. My oldest brother is 9 years older than me. My youngest brother is 9 years younger than me. It doesn't get any more middle than that.
I am III.
I am the middle middle child of my family. #5 of 8 kids. #3 of 5 sisters. My oldest brother is 9 years older than me. My youngest brother is 9 years younger than me. It doesn't get any more middle than that.
I am III.
8 comments:
Poor kid, and poor mama! It is so hard to watch your kids hurt! I am impressed that he kept it together until the car, maybe it's a girl/boy difference, or maybe not, but that would be hard to do!
Oh that really stinks Nicole. So sorry. That is why "friendly competition" at such a young age sucks, someone has to lose and they take things much harder than when you are older. Especially when they work so hard at it. Hope his spirits are lifted today:)
I'm so sorry. That is so sad. I can totally picture his face in my mind too.
oops! That's me, Lindsay
This is one of the saddest parts of our jobs as moms. It's hard to watch your child's heart get broken. Better luck next year, Tyler!!
That is so sad. We went through that last year. I have a pic of Mikey on the verge of tears while watch ing the race :( Soooo sad. There is always next year?
OHHHH----soooo sad :( Tyler is such a great kid, with such a tender heart. I hope you took him out for icecream all the same? (Not to push the emotional eating issue......but icecream always helps and it was still a fun family activity?)
Give him a hug for me. I am already nervous about the pinewood derby.......
love you
Dani
I hate that! It makes you want to do anything you have to do (read: CHEAT) so that your kid will feel better.
Just keep squeezing him and he'll be okay.
Post a Comment