CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Etiquette Backfire


This sweet little girl has recently found humor in passing gas. Each time she expels gas, she gives a little chuckle and proudly announces: "I FARTED!" While my mother may think this is exactly what I deserve for being a not quite so discrete young woman, I decided, that just as easily as she learned to announce what she had done, she could learn to possibly have some manners. Sounds pretty simple right? I considered teaching her to simply offer an 'excuse me' each time toots, but something made me feel that wasn't quite good enough, so this afternoon I set out to teach my daughter to be the most polite of all three year old girls. What could be better than a toddler saying 'Pardon Me' after she breaks wind? Surely, that would win her all the forgiveness she would need for breaking the silence, right?

Sounded perfect, in theory. In practice, not so much. Each time she broke wind this afternoon, I corrected her announcement by prompting her to say 'Pardon me' To which, she delightfully responded:

















"Fart on you."



Apparently, 'pard' sounds incredibly similar to her other new word. Who would have seen that coming? So, if somehow this little lesson has stuck at all, and you ever hear her being incredibly gross, please know that her mother tried. I really did.

13 comments:

homeschooling Mama said...

That's pretty much the most awesome thing i have ever heard!

::lindsay said...

Ha! That's really funny!

tharker said...

Oh, I'm laughing so hard!

Don't you love it when you think you've come up with the perfect parenting solution only to have it totally backfire? Been there and done that way too many times to count ;)

Stacia said...

That's a classic! The things they think they hear are just precious! Glad you directed us to your blog, I didn't know you had this one!

AOlson said...

I am so glad you left a message on your old blog about your new blog!! I was having Nicole withdrawls!!

This is a very funny story. Kids say the darndest things. So, does she take after you or your hubby?

stylist to the stars said...

Totally didn't know that you had a different blog. I just thought that you had fall off the horse when it came to blogging. Glad to have you back.

The story so funny and you mother is loving it right now.

Debie Spurgeon said...

OOPPSS!!!!

After saying it several times out loud to myself it definately sounds very similar. Too funny!

Suzanne said...

HA!!! Bryan was wondering why I was laughing soo hard! Just imagining her sweet little smile as she says this... too too funny. And yeah, you totally deserve this!

The Lassen Family said...

Okay, I am laughing out loud! I made Steve come in and read it--and he even cracked a grin (He HATES blogs)
such a sweet little girl (with two big brothers :)
And yes, mom is laughing at you :)

Alicia Leppert said...

No, but seriously, fart on you. I mean, the girl has a point.

PRP said...

That's the best kid story I've heard in a long time. Seriously, Zo, you're killing me here.

Andre said...

Too funny! What is is about that that they think is so funny, anyway?

tharker said...

Cute little owl page! I love it.