CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Worry much?

It began with an innocent errand. Zoe was taking a nap. Tyler was home from school 'sick' playing the Wii, and Nick was bored. So, I told Ty I would take Nick and we'd walk over to our friend's house to drop something off. They live a few blocks away, so I didn't think it would take too long. But made sure Tyler knew where to find emergency numbers if he needed them.

Nick and I headed off with his scooter and arrived at Rachael's within about 10 minutes. Lisa was there, and they were just hanging out, so they invited me to sit with them for a little bit. Which, I totally did. We had a nice conversation, and before we knew it, the kids were soaked in the backyard. It was time. Poor Nick was going to have to ride his scooter home in wet clothes, and wet shoes. Being the sympathetic mother that I am, I didn't feel too badly for him. On my way out the door, Lisa got a call from Amy saying one of the kids had Rachael's phone off the hook. I didn't think anything about that, but explained Tyler was home alone and I needed to get back before he got worried.

So, soaking wet Nick and I make the short walk home, enter the door to a perfectly fine-still-playing video games - Tyler and a just woken up Zoe. Tyler starts in on me like any 8-year old child would:

"Where have you been - I have been calling EVERYBODY!"

Excuse me? Who is everybody???

"Well, no one answered their phone, but Heather Beck did, and so I talked to her."

Awesome. Call the friend who is babysitting 5-children, sick, and totally pregnant. Let's freak her out. I call Heather, to let her know, I am in fact safe and did not get snatched on my .7 mile(round trip) walk. Her husband answers the phone and says, she's on her way to my house - but she has her cell phone. I call that 4 times - no answer.

I call Lindsay who Tyler also informs me answered her cell phone. (My boy is quite resourceful, isn't he) Lindsay explains that she got calls from Heather and Tyler and she was able to get through to Rachael right after I left (remember the phone was off the hook - Tyler and Heather both did try to call there, but no answer). So, Ty knew I was safe and Lindsay sweetly reminded him what a chatty I am and that I most likely just got to talking. It all made sense to my sweet 8-year old then. Somehow, he had forgotten that his Mom is a talker.

I am explaining myself to Lindsay as Heather knocks on my door. Totally feeling like a moron, I explain that yep, I just got to talking. Go figure. Sorry, but thanks for proving your worthiness to be on our emergency phone list.

So, after all the chaos has died down. I have a chat with Ty to let him know that the emergency numbers are really just to be used if there is an 'emergency' at. home. Details.

I am however, very impressed that he wasn't afraid to pick up the phone and get some adult help when he felt like he needed it. But, that day is the day that convinced us there will be no getting rid of my cell phone. It is needed. It would have solved quite a few problems that afternoon.

So, I apologize to all of you who had random calls on your caller ID Monday afternoon. Tyler just was missing his Mom and was bound and determined to find her. He is going to make one awesome Dad someday, isn't he?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

This is such a cute story Nicole! What a cute boy is is and yes he is going to make an awsome dad!!

I love that he forgot his mom is a "talker"! ;)

Alicia Leppert said...

This totally cracks me up. But the funniest part is what happened literally an hour after you told me this story. Maybe I should blog about my experience.

tharker said...

This is so funny, but ridiculously sweet at the same time. I just love Tyler!

::lindsay said...

What happened to you, Alicia?

Kristi said...

That's hilarious. Glad you're safe and sound!