CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I was raised by Bob:

As a child, there was one show I watched more than any other.
The Smurfs? Nope. Inspector Gadget? No. Jem!? Wrong again.

I was lucky enough to get my fill of my favorite show every weekday at 10am. That's 5 days a week, I would bounce out of my bed bright and early at 9:45, grab a bowl of Golden Puffs cereal, and join my Mom in the Family room for a beautiful thing.

Nicole ___________(because I didn't know what my last name would be), COME ON DOWN!
You're the next contestant on The Price is Right!

I would imagine those sweet words in my head just about every day. I had it all planned out. I would come up with something very clever for my T-shirt, proclaiming my love and adoration for Bob and his beauties. And, because of my hard work, my stay in contestant's row would be very short. One bid is all it takes. There are quite a few guidelines I developed over the years of my training. When spinning the wheel. If your first spin is under $0.65, SPIN AGAIN. If it's over DON'T. And when you are the top contestant for the Showcase Showdown, if the 1st one doesn't have the trip in it, the second one definitely will.



I learned many lessons from Uncle Bob:

Take care of your pets.

If you kiss old-men on the cheek, they'll probably give you something.

You will always look silly jumping up and down screaming, but sometimes it's what you need to do.

Pay attention to details. $1.00 can make a very big difference.


You may think the vast knowledge of this show would never serve a purpose in the life of a 31 year old SAHM, but you would be very very wrong.

I am convinced my love of all things numbers can be linked back to my beloved Uncle Bob.
I memorize phone numbers, addresses, license plate numbers, and yes, even prices all the time. If you ask me how much a package of strawberries cost at Wal-Mart yesterday, I will not tell you $2, because they actually cost $1.98. Did I buy strawberries yesterday? No, but I walked past them, and the huge sign burned itself into my brain. All thanks to Bob. Because you never know when you might be asked to fly to Cali to be a very special contestant. I must be prepared at all times.

Very recently, this upbringing of mine came in VERY handy. My calling in my ward is Enrichment Leader. A few months back, I was handed a script for an Enrichment Night focusing on Food Storage titled "The Price Is Right"

Talk about validation!

My childhood was not in vain. All of my knowledge of this show came into play. I am amazed at some of the useless information that surfaced during the preparations. Here is the poster I made for the evening:



I wish I had pictures of all of the games that we played. We recreated Higher or Lower, Hole In One, Pick-A-Number, and one of my very favorites: Cliff Hangers. If only we could have recreated Plinko or Punch-a-Bunch or even The Money Game. Can you imagine?

While I did not realize my dream of being a contestant on The Price Is Right, I did get to see four lovely women in our ward come on down, bid on various items, and play our fantastic games. When all was said and done, I thought it all went very well despite a few last minute character replacements. The commercials were the real meat and potatoes of the evening. Thank goodness someone else took those over since I was uselessly distracted by my love for the show, and I don't know the first thing about food storage. Details.

Someday, I will get to Television City, and I will sit in the studio audience of my all-time favorite show. I will make the perfect T-shirt informing Drew of my love for all things Bob. And maybe if I'm lucky, I will hear those five little words I've longed to hear.

18 comments:

Heather said...

Hilarious! I, too, am a Price fan. Every summer, loved that 10am slot! My roommate in college was in the audience and was even on camera. And my friend Chrissy went to the show too... maybe you and I need to make a roadtrip.

Megan said...

Many a morning did I spend in front of Bob and his beauties as well. Love the game, love the money side of it. I always figured I'd know those prices better than most of the contestants. I am quite the price comparer. I could win BIG:)
Maybe the road trip will be growing?

Anonymous said...

Great Post!!

During summer break, I didn't eat breakfast. Watching Price was enough food for me.

Lisa was very lucky, because since she grew up in So Cal, she has went to the Price is Right about 7-8 times. Her friend f/ college even spun a dollar on the wheel, and won her showcase. We went when we were engaged, and to me it almost ruined the show. Bob was not as nice in person as he portrayed himself on the screen. Rod Roddy wasn't exactly cheery either.

But I like to think that Bob and Rod used to be a nice guys, and that some of the morons who would get up on stage finally got to them, and they snapped.

Although I didn't like Bob, he was 100 times better than Drew. Bob has style, Drew thinks he is the guy that does disclaimers for car dealer commercials.

~The Donald
donaldrsorensonesq.blogspot.com

tharker said...

You and my sister in law Monica would get along great! She also loves to create P.I.R. games. Your activity looks like a blast. Great job Miss Barker!

Shayla said...

This was too funny, Nicole. I watched the Price is Right growing up, too. I'm so sad I didn't get to go to this Enrichment night, it sounds like it was fun!

Nicole said...

Oh Donald - I can't tell you the jealousy I feel right now. Lisa's friend has lived my dream. She spun $1?!?!?! WOW! That's all I can say. Lisa had all the fun growing up in So Cal.

I've heard Bob isn't so nice, but I refuse to recreate my memory of him. He'll always be Uncle Bob to me.

Funny you should mention Rod. That's who I got to play at Enrichment. I've got a whole new respect for that guy. There's only so many different ways you can say 'Come on down' But, I do think he had a really fun job.

Alicia Leppert said...

This was all Greek to me. I've watched maybe 2 episodes of PIR, which I'm thinking explains the fact that you're a number magician and I'm mathematically handicapped. Bill gets so mad at me because I'll come home from the store and he'll ask how much something was and I'll just give him a blank stare. It's pathetic how bad I am with numbers. Now letters, on the other hand...

Debie Spurgeon said...

Nicole, this is AWESOME!!! I love getting to know you this way. You're a great story teller. Heather is in love with PIR too. I have to ask, what do you think of Drew?

::lindsay said...

Awesome enrichment! One of these days, you're gonna be on the show, I just know it. I can't wait to see you jump up and down like crazy!

Jan said...

Love it Nicole. It was funny and took me back when you were a kid and what you might have liked. What a fun activity too. I really like Bob better than Drew. I just thing Drew is a (excuse me here) a little p/ ervie. He gives me the creeps. But that was always one of those shows you could just get lost in for an hour. I didn't get anything from it like you. Remembering prices and things, but I always did do the imagining it was me. As in the girls showing the goods. They were pretty. And that aint going to happen.

PRP said...

It's funny you said that Drew is pervie Jan because that's how I think of Bob. He kind of creeped me out but it didn't stop me from watching every time I was home sick from school!

Your post was hilarious. I'm so glad you have a blog now!

meohmyers said...

No wonder you're obsessed with all things numbers! It makes perfect sense! That and also why you go around insisting that everyone control the pet population. :)

This was a great Enrichment Night. We are so lucky to have you as our fantastic Enrichment Leader. It was fun, creative, entertaining, and you had us all holding our breath waiting to see if you were going to call us down! So fun.

P.S. I just found out that Jeff's aunt was one of the big showcase winners last month! Apparently she has a brand new living room, a trip, and frozen foods to last her till the day she dies.

polka dots said...

Smurfs? Golden Crisps? Price is Right? I think we grew up in the same house!

Anonymous said...

YOU guys did such a great job.To bad I didn't know any of the prices of anything so I could be a winner. Thanks so much for all the hard work! signed: ( your very thankful to have you as our enrichment leader RS pres.)

Jessica said...

NICOLE.....YOU HAVE A BLOG?!?! What the heck? I feel so out of the loop! Glad you started on though, you are so funny, and yeah you creeped me out with the whole number thing, but this post explains it all! LOL!

Trish said...

Love the blog Nicole!

The Lassen Family said...

Oh, the memories......... is the next blog about the Young and the Restless? (cue the theme music here...)
I will have to pass along your enrichment idea :)

Suzanne said...

ahhh. young and the restless, the price is right and the monkees. What a great childhood we had. And guess what I'm eating as I read this.... that's right, Golden Puffs. Old habits die hard, huh? Do you just want to write my blog for me?